E-Permits Are Available

Login at the e-permits website.

Apply for permits online for projects that do not require plans to be submitted for review. ePermits may be purchased by property owners or licensed contractors for the following projects:





Drain tile


Residential Plumbing


Lawn Sprinklers

Water Heater

Water Softener

Above Ground Swimming Pool



Air Conditioning



Residential and Commercial

Residential Sewer or Water



Repair - with no street excavation or curb replacement

Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express credit cards are required for payment. Questions? Call the City of South St. Paul Permits and Inspections Department 651-554-3220.

Map of current Building Permits

Map of Miscellaneous Permits

View permit details including inspection results

The Permit and Inspections Department issues all building, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and miscellaneous permits, and schedules all required inspections. The city requires permits for various building-related projects that occur within the city. Below is a list of projects that require a permit:

  • Accessory Building
  • Basement Finish
  • Concrete
  • Deck
  • Draintile
  • Dumpster - see Building Code Information
  • Egress Window
  • Fence
  • Framing/Insulation
  • Garage
  • Heating/Air Conditioning
  • New Home Construction
  • New Commercial Construction
  • Porch
  • Roof
  • Room Addition
  • Solar Installations
  • Swimming Pools
  • Ventilation
  • Windows and Doors

Building Permit Application (PDF) - Building/Remodeling, Roofing, Siding, Windows, etc.

HVAC Permit Application (PDF) - Heating, Air Conditioning, Gas Piping, Ventilation, etc.

Plumbing Permit Application (PDF) - Plumbing, Water/Sewer, RPZs, Lawn Sprinkler Systems, Pools, etc.

Zoning Permit Application (PDF) - Fences, Asphalt, Concrete, Platform Decks, and Shed Placement

Electrical Permit Application (PDF) (Contractor - One and Two-Family Dwellings)

Electrical Permit Application (PDF)(Contractor - Non-Dwelling and Multi-Family Dwellings)

Electrical Permit Application (PDF) (Homeowner - Single Family Dwelling)

Sign Permit Application (PDF) - Permanent and Temporary Signage

Swimming Pool Supplemental Form (PDF) - In-Ground and Above Ground Swimming Pools