The City Clerk’s office coordinates the issuance of business, liquor and animal licenses. Licenses can be submitted in-person at City Hall or by mail to:                    

City Clerk's Office                                                                                                         
125 3rd Avenue N
South St. Paul, MN 55075

Complete List of Licenses, Permits & Fees

General Business License Applications

Liquor Licensing

For questions regarding an On Sale Intoxicating Liquor License or Off Sale Liquor License, please contact the City Clerk, 651-554-3204.  

Animal Licenses 

Click on the links below to download the appropriate license.  Licenses may also be purchased in person at City Hall during regular business hours, Monday through Friday. 

Dog/Cat License - Lifetime License Fee is $25.00

All dogs and cats over six months must be licensed. Pet owners must provide proof of current rabies vaccination to obtain a license. 

Chicken and/or Duck License - Lifetime License Fee is $75.00

No person shall keep chickens or ducks (eligible fowl) on any residentially zoned property within the City without first obtaining a license. The keeping of eligible fowl on a residential property shall be limited to single family lots.  For more information, see Ordinance 1384 - raising of eligible fowl on residential properties with the City (PDF)

Miniature Pig License - Lifetime License fee:  $25.00

No person shall keep miniature pigs on a residentially zoned property within the city without first obtaining a license. The keeping of miniature pigs on a residential property shall be limited to single family lots, with a fence no less than four feet in height and the enclosed fence area no less than 250 square feet. Pet owners must provide proof of rabies vaccination, spaying/neutering, and microchip implantation. 

Charitable Gambling

Please contact the City Clerk at 651-554-3204 for questions regarding lawful gambling.


Solicitors are required to obtain a permit with the City and are required to display their permits at all times. While the City generally cannot prohibit people from trying to sell you something, you have the right to privacy. A solicitor may not remain on your property after you have asked him or her to leave. A solicitor may not conduct business in a manner that a reasonable person would find obscene, threatening, intimidating or abusive.

Any resident who wishes to exclude peddlers or solicitors from their premises may place a printed placard near the usual entrance stating: "No peddlers, solicitors or transient merchants," "Peddlers, solicitors, and transient merchants prohibited," or other comparable statement.

Solicitors, peddlers and transient merchants are prohibited from conducting business outside of the following hours:

9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday
10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday